Saturday, April 27, 2013

The mystical art of Andrew Knights comes to Ethos May 10, 2013


UK artist Andy Knights brings his unique artistic talent to Ethos Gallery's "The Little Things" Art Exhibition May 10, 2013.  




About his art and inspiration, Andy shares, "As far back as I remember I’ve always drawn pictures. There were a lot of cartoon/video game characters, birds and dogs - these were the things that inspired and
surrounded me growing up. I was fortunate enough to get into skateboarding in my early teens. The adventurous and creative natures of skateboarding consumed me and led to my interest in subcultures. It ushered my taste in music and lead me to an interest in street culture and graffiti. I was in love with skateboard graphics and this gave me an outlet as an artist. My interests in art and design propelled me
into a degree in Multimedia, a Post-Grad in Advertising and short-lived skateboard/apparel company where I screen-printed my own boards and clothes. After a bunch of awful office jobs I had stacks of drawings and started hanging around with a graffiti crew called TMC. I was given the opportunity to paint a backdrop for a local festival and they gave me the use of a studio to do it in. Soon after the Festival, organizers Pete and Loobs helped me get my own studio at Maker Heights and I decided to practice as an artist as often as possible. The support from my family and the creative community of artists and musicians at Maker Heights has molded me into the artist I am today. I guess I didn’t choose to be an artist - it just sort of worked out that way. Apparently I got into trouble as child for selling sketches to children in the playground for 10p each. I have no recollection of this but it seems I may have been a natural hustler all along".



Ethos has a second show in the works slated for August 1st entitled "Ethos in Wonderland" where Andy will transform the gallery into a fantasy land of color and characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment