Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sneak Preview Phobik Solo Show June 27, 2013


As we await the much anticipated solo exhibition by Los Angeles artist PHOBIK at the Jarritos Pop Up Gallery on Melrose Avenue, we sat down with him to get a preview of what we can expect to see at the "Gods & Angels" show this Thursday night.

1. Why did you choose Gods and Angels for your first solo show? 

Mythology, History, Astrology and the religious beliefs of people have always interested me. Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel was one of the first art pieces I can remember catching my eye as a kid. Da Vinci's many religious iconic paintings along with William-Adolphe Bouguereau have always influenced me. Back in elementary school I didn't know art would continue to fascinate me, so now that I've had my practice and became comfortable with what I do, I wanted to do my own representation of Gods and Angels which is something that has always been represented in my art.



2. Why do you think your style of art has been so well-received by the public? 

I paint what I like but I also listen to people and see what they like and I paint it. Not for their gratification at first but for my own. Pushing my creativity and skills to the next level is my goal. If I get it right, the joy that it brings to people is definitely a bonus. I'm glad people like it. Blessed to have followers and fans.


3. Which artist would you most like to collaborate with? 

Common Cents. (street art) 

Alex Ross. (Illustration) 

Salvador Dali. (Everything) 

4. How do you choose the various items you choose to paint on (saws, coasters, etc.) 

It all depends on where I am, I pick stuff off the streets, usually the signs left by construction workers or people that leave big metallic signs or wooden panels etc.  I also choose by what artists I get influenced by. Recently I was influenced by i4got's rat traps and rs70 brushes and 40 oz bottles. Ultimately its an experiment to paint on anything and everything. 





5. What can we expect to see from you in the near future as your art progresses? 

Bigger Walls...Animation...Comic Books. The Rise of "The Soap Co.", a collective I'm a part of  with Felix, MdMn and Look At.

The show, curated by Ethos Gallery will be held at the Jarritos Pop Up Gallery this Thursday, June 27th at 7 p.m.  7020 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles.





No comments:

Post a Comment